Forum Home Forum Home > Fossils > The Fossil Forum > British Fossils
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

East Devon finds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jurassic Jumper
Jurassic Jumper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: East Devon finds
    Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:48pm
Hi folks,

Been a while since I last posted anything and thought I'd share a few of the finds I've made over the last six months or so. All found on the East Devon coast.

First up a Gautheria radiata from Beer. Bit of a poor photo I'm afraid- doesn't do it justice. Beautifully air weathered. Turonian, Lewes nodular chalk.

This is another Gautheria but about twice the size of the previous one at about 20 mm. Again, lovely air weathering- no prep required. Turonian, Lewes nodular chalk.

Here's a couple more but in flint this time from Beer. Size of largest echinoid 18mm.

A partial Cidaris from Beer again. Height 40mm- would have been a big one! Prionocidaris ?? Turonian, Lewes nodular chalk.

I've shown this Tylocidaris before but not with the spines that would have gone with it. Spines and test not associated.

A nicely air weathered Camerogalerus minimus from Beer. Turonian, Holywell nodular chalk. 10mm.

Nice chunky Micraster with a couple of worm tubes. Flint cast.

And a little tiny Micraster still sat in it's block of flint.

Removed to show detail.

Here's an interesting one. I presume it's Sternotaxis plana but it is very heart shaped with a relatively deep anterior groove. Could it be something else?? From the Turoian New Pit chalk and preserved in flint.

Another shot showing the unusual inflated form.

A nice Pseudholaster from the Albian greensand preserved as a chert cast. That's the echinoids dealt with!!

I'm really pleased with this lovely Spondylus from Beer. Turonian, Lewes nodular chalk.

Managed to prep out both valves!

I love this one- a tiny (10mm) Scaphites (obliqus??) heteromorph ammonite from the Cenomanian.

And here's it's big cousin- Scaphites equalis. Cenomanian.

Mantelliceras, Cenomanian.

A different form of Mantelliceras, Cenomanian.

Yet another Mantelliceras- bigger at about 80mm. Cenomanian.

Cenomanian Nautilus- any suggestions on ID appreciated. 35mm

Another Cenomanian Naut. Again IDeas welcome.

And finally a little crab carapace from the Cenomanian. I was told the name for this one but I've forgotten. I hope people enjoy the pictures and please do add to the thread if you've any photos of East Devon finds- I'd love to see them!

Cheers,

H
Naze Dave View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naze Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 9:59pm
Stunning finds, those air weathered echinoids, did you really not have to prep them? they look amazing.
Thanks
Dave
Still Life
hooken View Drop Down
Jurassic Jumper
Jurassic Jumper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:12pm
Hi Dave,

The Gautheria were found exactly as seen. I just had to pull them off- didn't even need a hammer! It can really pay to crawl about examining the boulders above the high water mark.

Cheers,

H
gigantopithicus View Drop Down
Jurassic Jumper
Jurassic Jumper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigantopithicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:26pm
 The nautiloids are both Cymatoceras? sp. Maybe.
andy333 View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 10:28pm
Very nice Hooken. I think your crab may be Graptocarcinus texanus. You have spurred me on to get my camera out. That Scaphites obliquus is a beaut.
Andy
andy333
ryanc View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2012 at 11:20pm
That's an amazing haul Hooken - I love the two nautilus - can you show a picture of them with the living chambers facing the camera as the shape of that chamber seems to be a big part of Id'ing them?

Regards,

Ryan
mr ammonites View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr ammonites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:04am
Hi Hooken
I live in Torbay (Torbados) and have visited Hookend cliff twice since I started fossil hunting 3 years ago and did find a few nice fossils. But since then I understand that it isn't called fossil HUNTING for nothing and that hunting instinct + some knowledge is very important. It is nice to see what can be found and look forward to visiting again.
Ammonite!
quagga View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quagga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:57am
Lovely finds hooken.  How big is the S.plana?  The tiny Micraster  has the look of M.leskei to me.  This is the form I seem to find most regularly in the Upper Turonian quarries around Lewes.
thanks for showing.
Al
Time is nature's way of stopping everything happening at once.
rockelf View Drop Down
Jurassic Jumper
Jurassic Jumper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 6:50am
Beautiful finds Smile love the echinoids there - going to have to pay a visit to Hookend when im next in devon! Smile
The good thing about bones is they never run away
ThomasM View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:21am
Agree, the crab is a very nice Graptocarcinus texanus
Thomas
If you don't look, you won't find.
andy333 View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:50am
Found this delicate Hyphoplites falcatus covered by a bryozoan. scale bar =1cm

Andy
andy333
rab7ies View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rab7ies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:33pm
excellent echies hooken!
down amongst the stones.
fusilier21 View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fusilier21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:37pm
Well played, Sir.
Andrew
Je passe quand meme
jurassic jan View Drop Down
Jurassic Jumper
Jurassic Jumper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurassic jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:13pm
some lovely finds there hooken.   Clap    Jan.
Happy Hunting
hooken View Drop Down
Jurassic Jumper
Jurassic Jumper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 6:25pm
Thanks for the comments folks.

Thomas / Andy- Thanks for the crab ID- that rings a bell. That  Hyphoplites falcatus is a stunner, a rare find by itself never mind the bryozoa association. Any more rare ammos you would like to show?

Ryan- I'll try to post some pics of the living chambers tomorrow night.

Al- The S.plana is about 40 mm along the length of the test. I think your leskei prognosis is spot on.
andy333 View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:15pm
Here are a couple from the lower cenomanian.

Hyphoplites falcatus width=50mm

Forbesiceras largilliertianum scale bar =1cm

Andy

Edited by andy333 - 02 Apr 2012 at 8:18pm
andy333
Dream Weaver View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream Weaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 9:44am
Superb finds, Hooken... Especially that Cidaris from Beer. Is there any chance of tempting you to post more often? lol Wink

A bit cheeky, I know, but I really enjoyed looking at those, so I had to ask...
I think, therefore I am; I drink, therefore I'm no longer sure...
quagga View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quagga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 5:37pm
Nice ammos andy.  I have some specimens of both those species from east-sussex.  I never seem to find complete H.falcatus though.  That bryozoan covered specimen is great
Al
Time is nature's way of stopping everything happening at once.
hooken View Drop Down
Jurassic Jumper
Jurassic Jumper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 6:12pm
That Hyphoplites is just lovely. Looks like a fragile prep job too.

H.
andy333 View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 7:21pm
Thanks for the comments Q & H.
Quagga, all the H. falcatus that Hooken and me find are partials. They are so fragile and do not seem to preserve very well. The good one I have has been mended.
Hooken, hardly any prep. Its so fragile. Have you any brachs to post? You seem to find loads when we are out fossiling.
Here are some Schloenbachia varians. Highly variable.
Schloenbachia varians forma subvarians. Scale bar =1cm 

Schloenbachia varians forma subtuberculata 45mm wide

Schloenbachia varians forma ventriosa (A bit sea worn)

Andy

andy333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic