Forum Home Forum Home > Fossils > The Fossil Forum > British Fossils
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TRILOBITES and Other Fossils from SHROPSHIRE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 98>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wenlock View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRILOBITES and Other Fossils from SHROPSHIRE
    Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:06pm
Hello all,
I am new to the site and thought I would start by sharing some of my finds from Shropshire where I do most of my collecting.

it would be nice to see and hear of other collectors finds from Shropshire

The Wenlock Trilobite Dalmanites Longcaudatus collected from Near Wenlock Edge

A nice articulated example of the Very Rare Ordovician Llanvirn Crinoid Pandoracrinus Mincopensis collected from South Shropshire

Edited by Wenlock - 15 Nov 2009 at 5:22pm
Wenlock View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:20pm
it would be good to hear of other finds from Shropshire
Wenlock View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 11:41pm

Another Nice find from the Hope Shales of Shropshire

A nice double, Selenopeltis & Ampyx Linleyensis,
the blob on the lower left is actually the impression of the Head of a rare Cyclopygid trilobite showing the large compound eye

Edited by Wenlock - 06 Jan 2010 at 12:56am
Wenlock
tortoise View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tortoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 8:22am
Beautiful pieces there. Always like to see Dalmanites 
Andy
danny1 View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danny1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 8:44am
Stunning  Dalmanites,  i  will  upload  a  few  of  my  finds  from  round  there  when  i  have  time,  thats  one  of  the  best  self  found  Dalmanites  ive  seen  in  a  very  long  time.
Julian123 View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julian123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 8:55am
Wow, some really nice finds. I'd be thrilled to find any of them, well done and thanks for showing.
Julian
Wenlock View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 9:11am

Hello all

Thank you for the comments, I have been very lucky in finding a few articulated Dalmanites in the Wenlock area over the years,
as you are probably aware they are notoriously difficult to find complete.
Here is another specimen found more recently

Bill G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 10:02am
I couldn't agree more, with the others, Very nice. 
Cheers, Bill
polyfenestella View Drop Down
Cretaceous Climber
Cretaceous Climber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyfenestella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 10:08am
yes great finds,  do the Dalmanites come from the Lower Elton Beds ?  the crinoid is particularly rare have you shown it to any lower palaeozoic crinoid workers ?
pete g View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pete g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 10:12am
Absolutley beautiful pieces, nice finds and very nicely prepped, keep them coming, and don,t forget the fossil of the month competition.
Cheers Pete g
If you believe in reincarnation, you may be collecting yourself?.
plagistoma View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plagistoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 12:39pm
Welcome and thanks for showing your great finds.

steve
AndyS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 5:40pm

Great fossils (have to admit that allthough I´m not a trilobite collector myself)
and very nice prepwork indeed, welcome to the forum.

AndyS

spartacus View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 6:20pm
Howdy Wenlock & welcome, great trilobites. I'd love to expand my meagre trilo collection but I'm in Jurassic ammonite country good & proper ! Cry

Keef
mudbug View Drop Down
Triassic Titan
Triassic Titan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mudbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 7:04pm
Hi all.
 Nice mudbugs, love those little critters..very nice prep as well, thanks for sharing.
Regards to all who share the passion.. Mudbug!
S.H.T-N.
mondoo99 View Drop Down
Neogene Newbie
Neogene Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mondoo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 7:23pm
very nice mudbugs i would love to find a trilobite like that from shropshire,  but i like fossil hunting near welshpool and different places like that  

Edited by Bill G - 06 Oct 2009 at 7:28pm
Wenlock View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 8:09pm
Thanks for the comments
The Dalmanites come from the Coalbrookdale beds along Wenlock Edge.

The Crinoid is rare and was undescribed, it was written up in 2002 by Stephen Donovan, I had a hand in collecting the original specimens and managed to keep this one back for myself,
Highlander View Drop Down
Neogene Newbie
Neogene Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Highlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 8:13pm
That is absolutely stunning. I mean really stunning.

As someone who just "picks stuff up", and bashes the crap out of rocks until I find something (usually broken!), can I ask how long it takes to prepare something like your first one? I'm wondering if I might not get into that... in between raising kids, fly-fishing and <.... endless list>
Wenlock View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 8:47pm
Welshpool is good but the fauna is a bit limited
Anyway Shropshire is just over the hill from Welshpool so you could always pop in for a look
Another nice Rare Shropshire Bug, the Encrinurid  Nucleurus diabolus
Wenlock View Drop Down
Cambrian Rockhound
Cambrian Rockhound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wenlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 9:19pm

Unfortunatley I cannot take any credit for the prep work, I don't have the skill or patience to do work that inticate, that is down to a good friend of mine,

I will certainly pass on the all the positive comments which will be appreciated

Another Very Rare Ordovician Hope Shale Shropshire Trilobite "Girvanopgye occipitalis"
polyfenestella View Drop Down
Cretaceous Climber
Cretaceous Climber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polyfenestella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 9:44pm
I know Steve very well, having undertaken research  in the same Geology Department as Steve for a number of years.  Absolutely stunning specimens and fabulous prep work.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 98>
  Share Topic